Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Thanksgiving Cooking

Guam; where Thanksgiving begins for the US. It was dark and early when I started this morning getting the turkey on the grill; I think it was some time around 4:00 AM. The feast with our Chamorro family starts at 1:00 PM today, so I had to start early. The night before, I got the bird all ready and did the same injection that I did the other week. I was tempted to make a little extra and make a beer can chicken, that's a whole other post I will have to do some day. I've been so excited about making this turkey I think we need more days in the year that you are mandated too make turkey. Just a little side note, I do miss making a turkey for our good friends in CA and also for our family back in MI.






I set the grill up for smoking meat, so I had a pan of water under the turkey and the heat source off to the other side of the grill. I used mesquite wood chips for the smoke, a little sweet and nutty flavor with this kind of wood. I keep the temp right at 230-240 for 7 1/2 hrs, and kept the lid on the grill as much as possible. For the last 30 minutes of smoking I put my dry rub on the bird, so it had some time to cure to the skin of the turkey.



From what I tried and what the rest of the family said it turned out to be a great bird. There were still a lot of juices in the meat and the meat just kind of fell apart. It was a good Thanksgiving Day with good food, and good friends. Take care and I hope all your Thanksgiving feasts turned out great also.

Promise, next post will not be about more turkeys!

2 comments:

Dan, Tracy, Gracelyn & Olivia said...

Fantastic bird Heath. Again jealous we couldn't share but hey. I look forward to more and we are glad to hear your day was great as was ours. Loves from the mitten.

chara said...

ahhh.. how i do miss the wilhoit rub down..