Friday, November 16, 2007

Grilled Turkey

Today was my first time that I have grilled a turkey; I have been deep frying turkeys for the last 9yrs of my life. I am not turning my back on frying, but I am just exploring new ways of cooking a big bird. This am I spent time on the internet reading about other peoples experiences on grilling turkeys. I toke bits and pieces from each to form my plan of attack on my turkey.

I am cooking a 14lb turkey today, so just a small one. From what I read on mostly all sites is that you don’t want any more than a 15lb turkey. I started off by doing all the normal cleaning things that you do with a turkey. After that I prepared an injection for the turkey, I used butter, and chicken broth for the liquids. For the dry ingredients I used a combination of things that have been called the Wilhoit rub down by our friends back in CA. It consists of brown sugar, black pepper freshly ground, kosher salt, Hungarian paprika, and cayenne pepper to taste. I used two sticks of butter and about 2tbsp of chix broth and 1tbsp of the dry ingredients. I let it simmer for a few min. just enough for the ingredients to dissolve. After letting it cool I injected the turkey with the good stuff. It stayed in the frig for 1 1⁄2 hrs and I toke it out of the frig for another 1⁄2 hour before I put it onto the grill. Right before I put the bird on the grill I brushed it with olive oil. The temp with the grill I tried to keep at 300-350 using both charcoal and mesquite wood chucks. I turned the bird every 40-50 min to get an even cook, total cooking time roughly 3hrs. (that is the time I was hoping for ) The last 15min’s of cooking I put the dry rub over the turkey to finish it off.

Rhianon and I took the bird with us to family dinner that we have every Sunday night. We were only an hour late due to the turkey taking 4hrs to fully cook, the grill was not staying as hot as I hoped. By the time we got there the bird had been sitting for about 15min, so it was good to go to cut into. When I got a piece of the breast meat I was impressed by the tenderness and how much juice was still in the meat. I have to be honest; it ranked right up there with the fried turkey. Everyone liked it so much I will be making another one for Thanks Giving Day. I can’t wait to make it again, it was fun to go through the whole process.



My whole set up on the deck


Ain't she pretty?


Almost time to take it off the grill


8 comments:

Dan, Tracy, Gracelyn & Olivia said...

Fun, and yes she is a beauty! Heath, I will truly enjoy your blog I am sure as I share your love for cooking. I am hoping as Gracie grows I will have more time in my kitchen but for now I can live vicariously through you and enjoy your ideas and experiments. I will let you know if I come up with something fab that must be tried as well. You are missed and I am surely jealous of those at family dinner who share your food and company. God bless you this holiday and enjoy your next bird!

Anut Carol said...

Looks great - what time is dinner?
Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!
Anut Carol jo
Clawson MI

We missed you @ Todd's wedding - had fun with your brother and parents!

Take care...

TERRAPIN STATION COFFEY HOUSE said...

Wow...what a turkey! I am going to try the rub in the cafe when I get back. By the way, yeah we bought a cafe with my mother-in-law. It's a lot of work, but we love it! We are always looking for new dishes so I am glad to see your new blog! Our web page isn't the greatest, but I am getting there...go see it if you can and let me know what you think of our menu. I always need insight! If you go to the bottom of our son's blog, the link is on the bottom of the page, or...

www.cafemelangeyakima.com

Blessings,
Amiia

The Shib said...

Heath I love it that you say--Im not turning my back on frying.

You crack me up.

I miss you guys. And your wee tiny island.

chara said...

this blog is a little like torture - whatever you do - no pictures of the thai shrimp pasta or some london broil cooked perfectly rare and cut at a 45 degree angle.. i couldn't handle it.. we really miss you guys..

Michael said...

Bro, I love it!
You may have to take a couple of steps back for the cooking novices like myself to keep up :)

We really miss you two, but the Guam fund is slowly growing...

Hopefully we will talk to you over the holiday.
Love ya,
Michael

Mitch Miller said...

Heath, your turkey looked excellent. I bet it was great. I'm glad you can share your cooking talents with the "FAMILY". I can't wait to meet them. Tell them Happy Thanksgiving for us. Love you both so much. (we really enjoyed web-camming with you Thanksgiving night/Friday morning. Hugs and Kisses

Anonymous said...

Hello Heath,

Well I glad my act of cooking has rub off on you, however I don't remember when that was... I think it was when you said What's for Dinner? I think I mention to you, It will be what ever you cook yourself and save some for me!
Maybe that was the history.
As always it look great!
Love ya son!
Pa